Hands – the body part that embodies the many parts of our human nature. We give and take with our hands; acts of generosity or selfishness. We can build and destroy with them, too. We use our hands to stroke and sooth – showing care and we use our hands to punch and punish; showing cruelty. Some of us talk with our hands to enhance communication; reaching for an accord. Others of us direct our conversation partners to “talk to the hand” effectively ending discourse in a discordant manner.
We have hands on our brain. There are sayings, quotes and proverbs that use hands to illustrate wise life lessons. There are more of them than there are fingers on your hands. Here are a handful of sayings I grew up hearing and here are a few hand pictures for this week’s photo challenge.
- Idle hands are the devils playground.
- A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
- I wash my hands of it.
- Cold hands; warm heart.
- You can’t shake hands with a clenched fist.
- Many hands make light work.
- You must judge a man by the work of his hands.
- One hand washes the other.
- That’s a backhanded compliment.
- ‘Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the LORD’ (Psalm 134:2)
What hand sayings do you know?
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (thewishfactor.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (writingthegirl.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (colderweather.net)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (orthographies.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (lynneayersbeyondthebrush.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (hereandthere5.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (pinkwedges.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands (mothergrogan.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Hands… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- The Daily Post at WordPress: Hands